1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Estimating

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rustyb265, May 11, 2006.

1. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

I am about to give a quote on my first mulch job. It is going to be done with a yard clean up. I know how to quote the yard clean up. How should I estimate the mulch job? By the yard? Or by the hour? If by the yard, how much do i add to my cost for the mulch? And should I include a transport fee for me trailering the mulch in that "per yard" cost or add a seperate fee for the trailering/delivery? I am just new at this mulch thing so some advice would be greatly appreciated. Its not a huge job. Maybe 5-6 yards. Thanks
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

60 a yard pine 70 for hemlock. if you edge and weed charge by the hr for that.
  3. rustyb265

Thankyou. Any more suggestions?
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I charge $60 per yard of mulch. I pay $25 for it. I charge $45 to deliver. I charge $40 per hour for other services including edging weeding, etc.....

I never give the customer a price break down. They just get the total price for the job.

5. rustyb265

THats $45 to deliver in addition to to the $60 per yard right? $60 per yard for the mulch and to lay it down only right? Thanks for the input.
  6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I charge $75/yard includes delivery, I get black, red for 20/yard and brown double cut for 18 I don't remember exact but thats real close for cost. A yard gets installed in 20 minutes, two double wheelbarrows, two pitch forks and a very large mulch/gravel shovel.
  7. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

I seem to be a little cheaper than some here but I get regular mulches for about $17-22 a yard and dyed mulch for $27 a yard and charge $42 for regulars and $49 for dyed PLUS $25 a yard for installation. I add my delivery fee in with the markup.
  8. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and I put the mulch in my truck (holds about 3 yards) then put a mower and mower trailer on my big trailer and haul around the yard with that.
  9. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 LawnSite Member

On The Northshore We Are Gettin 80 A Yard For Black Or Brown And 90 For Hemlock Delivered And Installed.