mulch fabric

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ripple, Feb 17, 2006.

1. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

When is it necessary to put down mulch fabric?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I find it to be a pita, the mulch should keep weeds from growing out of the soil below on its own. with or without fabric you will usually have weed seed that gets planted and grows in the mulch but that can be easily taken care of as long as you don't wait till the weed has really established itself. And, when it comes time to replace the mulch, its a pita to rake it out with that fabric underneith, just my .02
  3. Ky.Smoke

Ky.Smoke LawnSite Member

I will agree with the pite statement. If you get a good base of mulch down and treat the bed with something (I like Preen n Green) it usually does pretty good. You just have the occassional weed that can be easily pulled out.
  4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't do any I put it down all the time. Its an easy money maker...and the customer want it. Why talk them out of something that will make me lose money. Moreover if the bed looks like crap because the weeds haven't been pulled...chances are the whole thing will.
  5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I'v been doing maintenance on my client's beds, but would love to have maintenance-free. Which seems to be more appealling? Doesn't it take away from PR