mulch hauling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SchultzLawnCare, Jun 5, 2008.

1. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question for you guys, I picked up mulch for this lady that Im doing a mulch re-landscaping for her. I have the job and told her that I would charge by the hour $55.00. and she accepted the bid for around $900.00 . I picked the mulch up for today, it was 2 trailer loads of a 6' by 12' dump trailer but I had to shovel the mulch in by hand. It took a total of 3.5 hours includeing driving time. (15 miles each way) how much would you charge her for getting the mulch (not including the price of the mulch). I figured since I only did 1.5 hours of labor that I would cut her a slack and charge her around $40.00 per hour because most of it was driving time and fuel.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i dont usually cut slack for that reason. if i qoute $1000 and you accept it, and i hve $10 in it, i did pretty well, and if you're happy we both win. if i quote it at $1000 and have $1100 in cost, i lose, but you're happy. if ya'll agreed to a price stick to it. eventually you will mis-bid something, and those that you made a little extra on are that much better.

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i agree,everything works out as you go.

4. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

You're bidding on mulch the wrong way from the gate. You should be bidding it $70 - $80 per yard installed or whatever rate you want.

As far as you having to shovel it into your trailer, what the heck? I'd find another supply yard. I picked up 2 yards today, was in and out in 4 minutes.

5. SchultzLawnCare

i got the mulch for free fromt he local compost pile.

6. I figure my truck operation costs me as much or more than my labor rate. So no, I don't discount for time spent in the truck.

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of quality mulch could you get from a local compost pile? just curious.

8. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

So what? The customer does not need to know this.

9. SchultzLawnCare

its deent mulch, she said she wanted a away to save money. its from branches that they chipped up. Ill take a picture of it tomarrow.

10. SchultzLawnCare

I was telling you that i got it from the compost so I had to shovel it in. I was responding to your remark about finding a new supply yard.