mulch help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by aference1, Jan 31, 2010.

1. aference1

aference1 LawnSite Member

How much should I charge to lay 12 cubic yards of mulch? I pay 23 dollars per yard. I will have it deliverd. some people say mark it up 1.5 x. What should I do?

2. tom's lawn care

tom's lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I usually charge 65.00-70.00 per yard. This covers the mulch costs, and the labor for laying the mulch. NOTE: This price deosn't include edging or any bush trimming.
    So a total for mulch: 780.00 - 840.00/ some guys like to charge close to 100.00 per yard, but it just depends what a pain in the a** it is going to be.

3. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

If you charge 1.5 x your cost for installing it and everything, I would say I want to sub you out for myself. When can you move to Charlotte, I'll give you work all year!!! You will make 11.50 a yard is what you will make then, so 11.5 x 12 = 138. Your profit is 138 for installing 14 yards of mulch!! Mulch is one of those things that should make you more than mowing. That is back breaking work. Don't screw yourself like that.You need to make at LEAST 300-400 bucks off this much labor.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'd charge, give or take, 1000 around here

5. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

That's more like it. You're running a business, not a slave camp.

6. AbbottCon.

AbbottCon. LawnSite Member

i charge about 45 a yard the mulch so im making money there and then i try to figure out the time and get 50 a man hour for my guys. minded that we do doing all commercials and in alot of cases blowing it in at a high volume you could never get 100 a yard. (most times 80-100) yards a property

7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

What do the beds look like? Do you have to do a lot of weeding? Edging? Are you going to trim the bushes? Remove leaves? What are the tipping fees at the landfill? Do you have any steep inclines to navigate? Without answers to these questions it is impossible to answer.

For the mulch alone I take what I paid (including the tax and delivery) and add 50%.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

if your just spreading it you could charge by the hour

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, it is easy to get $75/yd installed, but we pay $28 to $32 for mulch. Edging, cleanout, and weeding is extra.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I charge extra and seperate for all the work listed above. Hills and distance from the truck plus how open or full the beds are should be a factor as well.