Mulch in 8' bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by riches139, May 20, 2005.

1. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

How much can I put in 8' F150 bed without overloading? 1-2 yards?
    Not sure of weight.

2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

a yard of mulch weighs in at about 800lbs or so, and u can put about 2.5-3yrds of mulch in an f-150 8' bed....
    btwn 2k ibs- 2,400 ibs of weight fully loaded down with mulch.... if u tend to make something out of this, ur better off w/a trailer....

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if your not going far just load it up as much as possible and tarp it. now if your putting topsoil or 21aa or something like that, then its a different story, but for mulch, if your not going far, just load it up and go slow.

4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

premierlandscaping... not to piss any1 off but how great or beneficial do u think that bit of advice is when something goes wrong w/his springs?

traveling for any extent overloaded is not wise, ur truck will eventually suffer from doing so and u well end up having to have it fixed w/helper springs in a few months....

IMO not an wise idea..... take care of ur truck and it will take care of you....

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

A+ did you EVER do mulch??? You can only fit 3 yards in a truck with an 8 ft bed. Anything more won't fit. Plain and Simple

You can get 3 yds no problem! It doesnt even budge my F250 with 3 yards you should have a little sag but not bad.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I put 4 yards in my 6ft bed with no problem if the guy is good with the bucket.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

For one the bucket dont have anything to do with it .

8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

A+ i do think you don't know much about any thing but talking . F-150 is a half ton 1,000 not 2,00 so if he would load it to the top would be over weight and you say thats not good . I know its not good. But in one post you tell him to over load it and the next one you tell the one guy its bad to over load it . Make up your mind

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I get 2 yards with room to spare in my dodge 3/4 ton I just usually don't need more then 2 yards

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If your talking volume then it's simple math.
    1 yrd = 27 cuft
    pickup bed is 5' x 8' = 40sqft
    2.7' deep x 40sqft = 108cuft / 27 = 4 yards
    That's mounded up pretty good
    2 ft deep gets you a hair under 3 yrds
    a 6 ft bed gets you 1 yard less
    Wieght is a different issue
    4 yards will train a 1/2 ton but I don't know actual weights
    It will weigh a lot more wet than dry.