1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch in bags

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HOMER, Jan 17, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I need to refresh some nasty looking cypress mulch at one of my accounts. I measured the sq. ft. at 1473. The mulch is in 2 cu. ft. bags and I need to add at least 2" to the existing stuff. How many bags do I need? Is it too early in south alabam to apply a pre-emergent? I hate to show my ignorance but what the hey......thats why we're here!
  2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Homer, I stole this info from someone else on this site but can't connect you with the link. The math is mine, the formula is theirs.

1 yard of mulch 2" deep covers 150 square feet.

length x width x depth = cubic feet

1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet

Your answer is

length? x width? = 1473 [this is the number of square feet you gave in your post

1473 x .167 [depth of mulch 2" in decimals] = 245.9910 cubic feet

245.9910 / 27 [cubic yards] = 9.1108 cubic yards needed

I guess we did an extra step in looking at your post again since you want to know how many 2 cubic foot bags to get and I converted it to yards. Just go back and see that;

lenghth x width x depth = 245.9910 cubic feet of mulch

245.9910 / 2 = 123 bags of mulch needed

I think you'd be better off having it delivered by the yard than handling all those bags! Good luck,
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Z passes this math test.

But on the question of bulk or bagged, sometimes the use of bagged mulch is significantly less labor, easier to move from truck/trailer to the beds. In these cases bagged may be cheaper overall. Also for someone regularly mulching, and not having own loading equipment or dedicated hauling vehicle, leftover bags are easier unloaded, stored, and reloaded than bulk mulch.
  4. HOMER

My problem??????????/(math in general) was converting the amount to the 2 cu. ft. bags. I just grossly overbought sod for this same location and really don't know how I did that! I didn't want to over buy the mulch too.

Many thanks,

5. HOMER

Mr. Z,

You did real good. Had a math major e-mail me with the exact amount you did.

Thanks again
  6. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

If you kind find 3 cu. at a landscaper supply you would need only 81 bags.Thats a pallet and some change.Will fit on your trailer reeeaaall nice.Plus if yer gate comes off,they can slide it in real quicklike with a forklift.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

1473 sq.ft. / 150 sf (yd) = 9.82 yards
    1 yard = 27 cu.ft. or (13.5 bags)
    9.82 rounded to 10 (yds.) x 13.5 bags per = 135 bags

I estimate 135 bags.

Hope this helps.
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

kutnkru, every time you round off a number before the final answer, you greatly reduce the accuracy of your final answer.

One yard of mulch spread 2" deep covers approximately 150 ft². Exact coverage is 162 ft². 8% error in this step.

9.82 rounded off to 10 is an 1.8% error in that step.

Don't approximate, and your route gives 122.7499999 bags.

9. kutnkru

My question Jim is this.

I figured the equation according to Z's calculations.

The only rounding I did was to up the 9.82 to 10.

However, If I use the 1.62 cu.ft. here's what I come up with and the reason for my confusion.

1473 sq.ft. / 162 sf (yd)=9.09
    1 yard = 27 cu.ft. or (13.5 bags)
    9.09 x 13.5 bags = 122.72 bags

How did I UNDER estimate????

I dont understand. Am I missing something?
  10. kutnkru

I see your point now, that I have re-read your post.

I always try to figure 10% for errors so in actuality I would use the 150 vs. the 162 and this way I am covered. I can always charge on a pro-rata basis but cannot up the price once I have bid.