1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch in February?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JonLawn, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

We just did a 40 yd job with a 5% discount if scheduled before March 1. Helps keep my main guy plus a part timer busy with small jobs like that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Im moving your way !! lol
  3. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I try my best to have as much mulch jobs scheduled on the books by Feb 14th. I tell all my customers that I spread mulch between Valentine's Day and St. Patricks Day. Customers can remember holidays much better than dates. We do mulch all year long but I try my best to get it all done before its time to mow.:walking:
  4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Now is a good time in FL, unfortunately most customers like to wait until it gets good and hot and the grass is growing full swing.
  5. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Our goal is to get I all out before mowing starts.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

most often around mid-april but many dont want theirs until june....or when the maple trees stop dropping their seeds..
  7. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on size of mulch job that is too big for a solo? I've got some 10 yards of mulch jobs lined up but one of my weekly customers is 20 yards. She hasnt asked to schedule that one yet but I'm sure it's coming.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

You could do it. May take a couple days but you can also hire someone for one day. My ft and pt guys just installed 30yds in 10 hrs. No prep included in that. So 20 man hours to spread 30
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. lawnman24949

lawnman24949 LawnSite Member

20 would be possible for you. I would just expect it to take about two days. I have one customer who has me do 15 yards and another that is 17. These both require shrub trimming, edging, and weeding and they take between 1.5 and 2.5 days. The key to mulching when solo when it is a big project is to start farthest away from you and work your way to the trailer or dump spot.
  10. JonLawn

JonLawn LawnSite Member

Got it. I'll take it then. Do you have 20 yards delivered all at once, do you bring it, or do you do bags?