Mulch in grass from cleanups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, Jan 9, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that is refusing to pay because when we did his leaf clean ups this season, while blowing out his beds, we blew some mulch out too. i dont remember what i looked like some im gonna stop by tomorrow and look. Any body have anything good to say to him, or anygood removal ideas, i already told him thats gonna happen no matter what we do or how careful we are because he has alot of ground cover and low shrubs.
  2. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Charge him for a return trip to blow the mulch back in the bed, or explain to him over winter the mulch will decompose into the grass, and when the grass comes back from dormancy, you will never even know it was there...some people:cry: :gunsfirin
  3. Green Edge

Green Edge LawnSite Member

Smack him upside the
  4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

The mulch will come out of course with the leaves. If there is just mulch on the grass just blow it back into the beds. Done and Done. He has to expect some mulch will be lost in the course of the clean-up, but at the same time it should also be easy to blow the scraps of mulch back into the bed to give it the professional finished look. His complaint is somewhat valid, but he should expect some lost mulch.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

hey at least he wont have to worry about too much mulch building up from mulching every year:cool:
  6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to sell him refresher mulch in the spring too!
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a BS excuse to me. Just make sure you take your camera with you. Always nice to have pics when you're standing in claims court.
  8. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks to me like he's trying to hit you up for free mulch.:mad:
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If indeed there is a large amount of mulch removed from the bed, then you should be responsible for replacing it. What's a bag cost...$3 or $4 dollars. Is he a good customer? How much does he owe you? If he is a good customer and usually a non-complainer, just take a bag with you, fix the problem and collect your money or you could go over there, argue with him and spend numerous hours trying to collect your money.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ide do what walker-talker said, then he might complain about one little section of mulch that looks good and the rest doesn't in comparison and may want a full mulch job done!!