mulch in rain

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bodisatvah, Apr 11, 2007.

1. bodisatvah

bodisatvah LawnSite Member

is it unreasonable or worthwhile to spread mulch while it's raining?

we have some rainy days coming and i'm gonna get backed up if i dont get some work sone.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I always have guy's that will want to work on rainy days when we dont cut.

Put them to work mulching.

Mulch is a little heavier, but no reason I know why it can't or shouldn't be done while it's raining.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you don't mind getting wet, I don't see any reason why not.

4. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

The only problem I have ever run into is if you have poorly dyed colors of mulch and you are working on or around concrete. Especially new construction. The dyes will bleed out onto the mulch. Easy fix though, just hose down the walkways and concrete near the beds when you are finished.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheelbarrows and mud can be a problem sometimes. Undyed mulch won't bleed.

6. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

my old mulch supplier said that it will wash the color off if you spread it when it's raining. When it's in the pile it's ok because it gets mixed from when you take it from their to the flower bed. It's more noticable if it bleeds once it hits it when its in its final resting place. He said it will take 8-16 hours until it dries completely. My new mulch suppliers mulch seems like it wouldn't bleed as much, but it will still bleed. Talk to the mulch supplier.

adam

7. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

This just doesn't make sense to me, it's mulch, it will get wet 40 times a year, one time isn't going to hurt it.

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I have mulched in the rain a couple of times just to keep on schedule but it wasn't heavy down pours. It all turned out looking good and customers were happy with the job and I didn't mind a little rain compared to a steamy hot 100 degree day....

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt do it the mulch always bleed spread out like that left in a pile its fine but its happened to us before so i wont do it anymore i got a crew with a 12 yd pile not doing anything today and a 35 yard pile that will have to wait until tomorrow

10. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

its fine to mulch in the rain we do it ALL of the time and im sure will be doing it ALOT this spring....just watch out for walking on the same part of the lawn with load after load of mulch might mess things up, and as far as the dye running, that makes sense , but i dont use dyed mulch, only organic products for us.