Mulch install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tony58, Feb 1, 2001.

1. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants a existing flower/shurb bed enlarged.It is too cold to use round-up and I don't have a sod remover.Would it work to scalp it with the mower then install hardwood mulch a little thicker than normal?
    Thanks Tony58

2. capital

capital LawnSite Member

You are going to have to remove the sod. Roundup will have some effect but the grass is dormant (sp) right now. Come spring the grass will come right back through the mulch. If I was you I would stripp the area out and then install the mulch. When spring comes use preen or similar product before the ground temps rise. Preen will keep the grass from germinating along with the weeds. Be prepared for alot of weed/grass growth the first year.

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

rent a sod cutter charge the cutomer for rental plus and small mark up and deliver and operator cost........u can then cover the ground with newspaper and place mulch accordigly........scalping the ground with a mower is a quick fix that won't have any benifit in my opion for long term effect....waste of time. it will not take care of the roots left behind.

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of putting newspaper down, whats the trick with that?

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

:confused: I use newspaper as a carbon source in some new plantings, (blue clay) :confused:

6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Guido,
    The newspaper thing really works. So would any paper product like craft paper, newsroll etc... We have used this before at customers houses who don't want a conventional fabric or where we have installed spreading perennials such as hostas and coneflowers. The idea is that the paper acts as a fabric in as much as it stops weeds and supports new mulch. Even wet it will last approximately one year. This is long enough to kill out most existing weeds. After that you just keep the mulch thick and do a little periodic maintenance. We have done this on several jobs and the only thing I don't like about it is the appearence, it might not look real professional laying down newspaper, and thats why I'm thinking of trying the craft paper thing.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Our local botanical garden for the Master Gardner's Program uses cardboard to enlarge or creatre new beds. They just lay it out and cut it to shape then mulch right over the top accordingly.

Kris