Mulch Installation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AllProLC, Mar 14, 2007.

1. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

How do most charge for Mulch Installation. By figuring hourly rate, by the cubic foot, square foot ? Just wondering.

2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I do it by the yard. About $75 per yard. I add more if its hard to get to, or they want dyed mulch which costs a bit more. I also add more if it needs edged, cleaned, etc.. I dont buy in bulk, so most of the mulch I get is $22 to $33 a yard.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually charge per yard of mulch and add extra to do weeding and to edge

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Per yard. Its the easiest way to go... but thats just how I see it.

5. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i agree per yard, customer buys its 35 a yard to install, otherwise i charge 60 a yard for triple (brown) and 65 a yard for black ......sometimes if its over 20 yards ill knock 5 bucks off a yard...i prefer to work it out of the coal chutes on my dumptruck, so i kinda stray away and talk the homeowner out of having it delivered...i dont like having to shovel the mulch twice

plus edge, i have the bededger which saves my butt bigtime, but i still try to get a few bucks for it, even if its only 20 or 40 bucks it still helps pay for the machine.....if its fresh beds that no one has ever had a proper edge on then ive had luck before at 30 cents a foot.

plus cleanups, cutting and deadheading the parrenials, pruning....

i get my black for 16 a yard and my triple for 12 a yard, but thats only cause of my hookup, so its still very profitable for me

but maybe i should start charging more being i dont think ive ever lost a mulch job over price

also where youre at may be different, im in suburbia PA which are 2 of the ritziest counties in the mid atlantic region...my friend down in roanoke VA is only getting 35 a yard installed (with his mulch blower) but there is no edging down there, and each job is at least 20 yards...hes tried charging more and even at 50 a yard no one bites....so everywhere is different