1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Job Dilemma

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnspecialties, Apr 20, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a landscape job scheduled in a few weeks where the house has no pavement or concrete area at all. No big deal, except the customer is getting 10 yards of red-dyed mulch.

How the heck am I going to scoop up red-dyed mulch off the ground without getting it full of dirt and debris? I might be able to get away with this with natural colored triple-shredded but red-dyed is going to show every piece of dirt.

Anyone ever had a situation like this before? Thanks:confused:
  2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

lay down a tarp or some plastic first ten yards doesnt take up much space
  3. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question, what kind of house has enough beds for 10 yards of mulch but no drive or parking area?
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

We're out here in the country, bud. One acre yard but dirt road and dirt driveway. I'm cutting the new beds, putting in three crape myrtles and two dogwoods, and installing the mulch.

I should have been more clear in my first post. I'm using the tractor to scoop up the mulch. Sure, a tarp will help but when near the bottom, it will be useless. It's still probably my best bet.:confused:
  6. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

put some big pieces of plywood down.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Dump truck??? :confused:
  8. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

use a big tarp, and when scooping keep the blade about 1-2 inches up so it leaves a thin layer of mulch, once you have most of it up, just drag whats left over on the tarp.... it might work we have had to do that at the mulch yard i work at.
  9. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I've never worked off dirt drives, but gravel drives are similar with regard to the problem. Tarp or plywood.... Just about the only option. Of course, you'll have to wheelbarrow the last little bit. If you're hauling a tractor, couldn't you use that trailer to haul the mulch and work directly off that? As was stated above, ten yards isn't that much.
  10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

use a grapple on a machine