mulch job quote for a family member?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JJG84, Apr 23, 2007.

1. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

What do you think about this estimate for a family member?

A family member of mine knows I landscape, and I have done a few small favors for him in the past (leaf cleanup, bed creation, lawn mowing) when I was younger and I helped him just for a couple extra bucks.

This season I dont know if I can afford to just do the work for a minimal amount like I have done in the past which was like a measly 10 bucks an hour.

Upon taking measurements of his flower beds which he wants them to be weeded, edged, and mulched, I have come to the conclusion that it will be approximately 14 yards of mulch at a depth of 4 inches.

Mulch is $24.95 x 14 = $349 + Tax
    Delivery = $39.00
    Labor rate = $30.00 hr. (for two men, not 30 per man hour. giving him a deal)
    Time Required = 4 Hrs. = $120.00

overall quote = so were looking at a ballpark price of around $500-$550 for a pretty decently sized mulch job, professionally done.

I told him the price today, and he said he had to check with his wife. I dont want him to be offended either. I know I am not making as much as I should on this job, but it's family. What do you guys think? :confused:

2. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

$120 for four hours work? Split between two people? I'd your family member is getting a very good deal. You are not getting a good deal though. I would charge more for that.

Seeing how most on here charge anywhere from $50-$80 per yard installed. You would be looking at $700-$1120. Plus more for the weeding, and depending on how difficult the edging is maybe more for that too.

3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Thats a great deal for a family member

My charge would be at 910.00 without the weeding and edging

the only way I would do it less is if the family member was on the other wheel barrow,not my paid help.

Good luck with this one

4. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

well I gave him the price, and its a no-go . He said he is going to hold off and call around. I say LET HIM!

Also, business with family members is something I have learned usually never works out well. well in my family at least.

5. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

For family i give them a deal at $40.00 a yard instaled for the hardwood that i pay 20.00 a yard for. I can usually lat it at about 5 yards an hour with one man dumping and one raking. I pay my help 10.00 an hour.

6. JJG84

JJG84 LawnSite Member
    from OH-IO

Brett - that is a pretty good concept, charging by the yard installed rather then by the hour, i should use it in the future.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That's right and when he calls back your price just went up.

8. Lksd Lawn

Lksd Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Erie Pa

No doubt. You were worried about insulting him and he turns and insults you. Price doubled here.

"Ain't" family fun?

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

$85 / yard

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

What does your relative do for a living? Maybe you can trade services? I'm sure he'll give you a good deal too.