mulch job.. renting a dingo vs hiring help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by facework84, Jun 11, 2012.

1. facework84

facework84 LawnSite Member

I'm generally a solo op, with the exception of a mulch job, brush removal, gutter cleaning, etc.

In the past, I've had bad luck with people being reliable.

I have a job to do this week, 14 cy of mulch & 34 bales of long leaf pine straw. The pine straw is in a pretty wide open area, but most of the mulch is around flowers and small shrubs (a lot of hands and knees work)

With the rental of the mini skid, I'm thinking my total cost will be a little higher, but it should go faster, and I don't have to worry about unreliables.

What do you think? Me and 4 other guys doing it by hand, or rent a skid and hire two guys? Most of the area to be mulched is on either side of the area where the mulch will be dropped.

I've never used a skid before either.. so not sure how much faster it is vs a crew with two wheelbarrows
    -Antoni

2. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

How about the skid and 1 other helper? If it's mostly hands and knees stuff it'd definitely be nice to put spread out the wear and tear to other peoples hands and knees.

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

How would the mini skid help? Dumping into barrels? I think 4 guys could do that job in a day. Do you use a large pitchfork to shovel out the truck or trailer into barrels? If your not, maybe you should.

4. facework84

facework84 LawnSite Member

@grassfras
    Nah, for dumping it near/in the beds
    I'd rather not be out there for 8 hours
    The mulch will be on the ground, delivered by the dump truck

@f150
    are you saying a dingo, and 3 helpers, while i watch?

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

If you get a skid you have to be careful about tearing up turf. I have never used mini skid but I don't use our skid steer to do mulch unless we are installing a new lawn too or we have access to the beds without going on the turf. If you aren't familiar with using one you can tear up turf pretty bad when turning.(even if you are actually)

6. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

ventrac with slip scoop. 4 1/2 yards in 1 hour.

7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Scoop shovel and some wheelbarrows.

8. jhouchins

jhouchins LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Definately 4 guys over a mini skid. No question. Mini skid will tear up the yard and is not much faster than a wheelbarrow. The buckets on one is a big wheel barrow load. Unless it is just wide open I wouldn't even consider a mini skid. Even then it would not be much faster. I use a big grain shovel and can fill a wheelbarrow in 4 big scoops. Then you will not tear up the yard at all. You will regret a mini skid. With 4 guys that is a 6 hour job.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto, but I say two to three guys can get it done in a day. Two of us have done 12 yards of hardwood mulch in a day easy, including prep work such as bed re-defining.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Are you guys all running jobs programs? Sounds like a bunch of gov't programs. He said reliability is an issue and then you suggest hiring 3 people who will probably be unreliable.

Equipment trumps employees every day of the week.

I would go with the Dingo, I've had one for well over 10 years and if the lawn is not too wet or too dry you will be just fine for using it for installing mulch and carrying bales.