Mulch Job??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cwmiller928, Apr 21, 2008.

1. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

What do you guys think is a good rate per yard of mulch installed for a solo guy like myself?? How much do i add to my price for the mulch?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

$100 per yard and that includes everything.

Cost of the mulch
    cutting bed lines
    cleaning out the beds if needed
    weeding the beds if needed
    trimming shrubs if needed

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

depends what your paying for it. im payin 38 a yard and getting 65-75 to install it.

-unlike prostreet. my price is just for laying, no prep work

4. kacj777

kacj777 LawnSite Member

I charge $30 an hr. they supply the mulch. I don't know if thats to much or to little.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS LawnSite Member

if it pays your bills great. that wouldnt work here.

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

We bill out $75 yard that includes every thing

7. SongBird LawnCare

SongBird LawnCare LawnSite Member

Does this mean that your getting 103-113 total?... or does the 65-75 include the cost and the install?

I have, if my calculations are correct... 11 yards to install.. and i'm trying to figure if my rates for labor are right.. I think i'm low..

thanks

8. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

how long does it take you guys to install a yard? Using what equipment?

9. Song Bird

Song Bird LawnSite Member

We have the same problem right now. Trying to figure out how to price a mulch job.
    We will need to cover 473 sq feet (52.5 yards) total over 10 different area's in a yard that is less than a 1/2 an acre.
    We can get the mulch free.
    One area we will be doing from scratch, cleaning away the sod, putting down newspaper, edging (we are charging her cost we payed per foot, plus tax), and then mulch.
    A second bed does not have edging either but the home owner does not want it, so we will just cut and edge in with a spade, clean out the ingrowing grass, lay down paper and mulch.
    The third bed will need compost added badly, it is a bricked in window bed, the soil is hard and drys out badly, it is also shaded. She wants to grow flowers in it badly. So I will have to compost it (this I have from my worm beds), then mulch and plant it or plant then mulch. I have to find a shade tolerant, low water needed annual, any ideas.
    The rest of the beds just need some weed pulling and then mulching.
    The owner wants at least 1" deep.
    The job will be doing by me, my husband and the homeowner wants to help too. She is on a fixed income. We living in NE, Iowa. We will be mowing and trimming for her all summer. We want to do the job right, make some money but not over charge.
    We have though about doing it by the yard plus the cost of the edging. When we did her clean up we charged her 15$ an hour for just my husband doing the job (leaf raking, rock power brooming) she did help during the 3 hours too.
    We do not want to charge her $30. (for two of us working) and hour, it just seems high, though I know it is going to be a lot of work on part of it.
    HELP! How would you charge the job, please I would like feedback from those willing to realize we are in NE Iowa, a low income area, working for a Sr. on a fixed income. She will get an over all 5$ off for the job because she is a Sr. that is our policy.

10. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how your husband can make it on $15 an hour. Charge going rate, say $40-60 an hour for each of you. $80 an hour for the both of you is more than fair, figuring you probably don't have insurance or much overhead.

Look at it this way. If you loose half your work, and charge going rate, you will actually make more. And you will have more time to be with your husband :)