1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Decoste76, May 31, 2010.

1. Decoste76

Decoste76 LawnSite Member
    from MASS

Just did a 30 yard mulch job.. and made 1,000 off of it lemme know what you think about that. I billed the guy for 1309 but he was a low baller and got me to go down to 1000 after about a week of arguments and bull****
  2. AMG Management Solutions

AMG Management Solutions LawnSite Member

depends on what it cost you to deliver the mulch and pay your guys... Did you do any bed edging? Weed removal? Standard bed prep? If so I would have told him good luck because there would have been little to no profit in it for me...
  3. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

If I understand what you are saying I would have been at $2100 including delivery and the material...no prep work. 30yds of mulch for a grand? No thanks.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

You dropped your price = you lose. Although asking if you did OK is sort of rediculous since only you should know that answer. Either way I think you left some good money on the table. Now if you paid $10/yd and humped it yourself in a less than a day you probably did alright. However if you paid $45/yd and it took 3 guys all day plus several trips to the yard and lost drivetime than you lost pretty bad. I'm gonna side with terra on this one.
  5. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

30yards for a grand? Dude you got screwed.
  6. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be at $1000+tax for just grunting the junk in, prep work = more $$$ Assuming you're installing cypress mulch you should have about $930.00 of profit on the mulch itself. It would have been cheaper to tell him to pay up with a mechanics lean.
  7. RakenShovel

RakenShovel LawnSite Member

lost a LOT of money. What are you pricing the mulch at per yard? Sounds like a battle of lowballers.
  8. Decoste76

from MASS

the total job was 2600 he paid for hlaf
  9. Decoste76

from MASS

well should of paid for half but wants to only pay 1000
  10. Ron's TLL

Ron's TLL LawnSite Member

If he actually MADE $1000, after material and labor, that's good. I would have been in the $2100 range also for material, delivery, and install. Now, if he only charged $1000, I have a whole lot of work for him!:)