Mulch kit and sulky?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Mar 12, 2003.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 48''Exmark hydro with mulch kit. With the 1/3 rule out the window for over half of last year I could walk faster than I could cut.(tring to get a good finish) I double cut some lawns. This was still faster than bagging + dumping. Could I go faster, double cut using sulky and get a good finish cut? Do you go slower when you use mulch kit (versis side discharge)on dry lawns?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Yes You Do go Faster when Side discharging. Just Put some Kind Of Ocdc On It And you Will not have As Much Cleanup.

john.

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The mulch kit makes a mess for me during the wet season. I also recommend side discharging.

Install the mulch kit when the leaves begin to fall.

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself will probly mulch the first few weeks of mowing till we get rolling into hopfully a wet spring. then mulch kit off till the grass slows down

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Have you tried Gator type commercial mulching blades just discharging or with the mulch kit? I'll open up a big can of worms and ask if you have tried doubles. Might suggest regular lift blades on bottom and Gator type on top so they look like this + of course you need to raise your height about 1/4" to compensate for it sticking down lower (better to use your blade spacers, move one from the bottom to the top of the spindle).
    Good luck...