Mulch kit...does this sound right????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I stopped by my dealer today and priced a mulch kit for my Husq 48 WB. The counter person quoted me $50. This sounds too cheap to me. I have never bought or priced a mulch kit before, so I don't know what they go for. There was a small pic in the pricing guide and it showed the baffles/block off plate, and 3 mulch blades. I asked if the blades came with it and they said yes. Did the parts counter preson know what she was talking about? You can't hardly get anything for $50, so I thought I would ask you guys. Thanks!

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Mine was over $100 for my 34Z. That does sound really cheap. Make sure that comes with everything.
    baffles, discharge cover, hardware, mulch blades

3. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

you should have bought it then! maybe next time you go there you might have someone that knows better

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well i just bought the "mulch kit" from lesco and all it is, is a piece of metal that blocks the chute. it was only $30 and IMO a waste.

5. edhuffman777

edhuffman777 LawnSite Member

i just picked my mulch block off plate up today it is going on my 48 scag tiger cub and it was $70.00, pretty expensive for a small peice if metal and two bolts. so, maybe the dealer was just talking about the block off plate.

6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i got mine and gave $170 for it and they put it on and it came with baffles, discharge cover, hardware, mulch blades.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Doesn't a proper mulch kit come with all the proper baffles to completely isolate each cutting chamber as well as blocking the discharge?

A question I'm asking, cause I don't know:)

If it was only a block off plate, someone could make one easily enough for practically nothing I'd guess...

8. Grits

from Florida

Yes....a block off plate is exactly that. A mulch kit has the baffles and what not.

I might go order it tomorrow. The manager was there today when I went and he agreed with the counter lady that it did come with the baffles, block off plate and blades. I will go order it in the morning so they might remember talking to me about it.

I wonder though.......would a mulch kit for a residential mower be something different and this inexpensive?????

I have gotten some good deals from this dealer though. And I always wonder if the sales people and I are on the same page....but it seems to work out. We'll see.

9. Grits

from Florida

Well I ordered the mulch kit today. For $50!! They assured me that it included EVERYTHING. We'll see.

10. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Grits that was a good but if you got a complete mulch set cause I can't even but my mulching blades for that. Each mulching blade for my unit is $13.56. I remember that I paid over $200.00 for my mulching kit for a 44" Exmark, but I have to admmit it was well worth it. I mulch all my accounts and they look like carpet after I am finished and not to mention the nutrition for the yard. GOOD LUCK and I hope that you get a complete kit. :cool2: