1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch kit for exmark metro 36? or 48?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shm, Sep 5, 2003.

1. shm

shm LawnSite Member

I'm going to purchase a exmark metro 36 or 48 inch deck. I was wondering which deck mulches better. Also, is the mulch kit worth buying for these mowers? I've had several dealers tell me that side discharging will work just fine and that I didn't need a mulch kit. Any thoughts?

I know there are some old posts concerning this topic but not specifically the 36 and 48 inch exmark metro....if there is one that I missed please direct me ...thanks
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Mulch kit rocks.
  3. Buckeye1

Buckeye1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If you are going to side discharge, consider getting a masterchute or ezchute ocdc.
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Dont get mulching kit instead get the MEG MO blades and get a better job. Stay sharp longer and dont leave as much clippings showing
  5. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

The exmark mulch kit and double blades are the only way to go.
  6. shm

shm LawnSite Member

so I've got several opinions here...does anyone have an opinion on which mower deck will mulch better? the 36 or the 48....i'm still not sure what to do...some people say get the mulch kit for sure..others say the blade speed is just fine for side discharge......never used the meg mo system...anyone use this with an exmarl metro 36 or 48?

Meg mo- what kind of cost am i looking at for either mower?

Thanks to all for any info in advance
  7. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

My 36 Metro HP with the mulch kit and doubles does a fine job I have never seen any clippings. I can't say for the 48" but I am sure it will do a fine job also. Get the size that with match with the lawns and gates you have.
  8. shm

shm LawnSite Member

Meg- mo...just to clarify my question...how much will it cost for a meg mo system on the 36 inch deck and the 48 inch deck?...I realized my question sounded like I wanted mower prices.
    anyway- let me know
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The 36 takes 2 18# blades at 59.95 +5.00 shiping each. Total 129.90. We used a36 for 10 or 12 years. Nice for to get thur gates.
    The 48 takes 3 16 1/4# blades at 49.95 + 5.00 shiping each. Total164.85.
  10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Also with the mulch kit you have two trim sides which is a lot easier. Maybe you can use the mulch kit and Mega-Mo's blades to and double your pleasure.