Mulch Kit is a pain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Today i took the mulch kit off my new exmark, what a pain in the a**! So i really don't want to have to put it on if i don't have to. How well do these machines disperse clippings when side discharging? Should i be all right because i don't want to bag. Thanks for the input!
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Nevermind, i put it back on and i am not taking it off until fall. What a pain! I does a good job but it needs to be much simpler. I will use my hondas if i have to bag.
  3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatd you expect it to be? Did you think it would just go on by itself?
  4. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

How does the multching kit work for you. I just had mine taken off because it wasnt doing crap. Just had tons of clumps on the grass. THis whole season it been like that so i just got the utlra vac. Dont know about you but i like the bag/side dischange alot better then the multcher. It was nice not having to worry about the flowers but looks alot better now. The chute that opens and closes would be awesome tho. Anyways tho mine was easy to take off, just had to drop it off at the dealer and had it done for free.
  5. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

I run the kit on my 36" Exmark and i have yet to see a clipping! Lawns are like carpets! I am really pleased with it so far.
  6. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I agree, it is a pain to put on and take off. I only use mine to mulch leaves in the fall. I have too many big yards that have thick and sometime tall grass so I don't think I would have much luck mulching everything. Also mow when it is wet a lot. I have a friend who mulches everything, but sometimes he loses two days while I am still mowing.

I side discharge everything. This works real well if the grass hasn't gotten to tall, or if you can cut it "tall".

I do like the way the mulching kit makes a yard look though. I wish I could leave it on all the time. Hopefully next year I can afford another 48 and leave the mulcher on one of them. This would be ideal, because there are many times I would like to mulch.

Another thing I have done. For magnolia leaves... I just slap the plate on the discharge chute (takes about 5 minutes or less) and cut them up and then take the plate off to do the rest of the yard.

I know you said "never mind" but these are some ideas that I thought may help you or someone else in the future.