Mulch Kit (Is it worth it)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynn's Lawn Care, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Lynn's Lawn Care

Lynn's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a customer with bermuda grass. He told me the other day that I could stop bagging his lawn but I had to make sure that all the clippings were dust or gone. He did not want any grass showing that would get back in the house. Sounds good to me I hate bagging. I just bought a 48" Scag Tiger Cub. Is it worth buying the mulching kit or will gator blades work just fine. I fiqure with the gators I may have to run over it a few times but that will still be better than bagging with a 36" W/B. This is the only yard I figure the mulching kit is really necessary. How much is involved in taking it on and off. Or is it just better to install it and use it on every yard and just go slower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    David

2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

David

I started a thread about mulch kits today. scroll through and find it, there are some good posts there. I just called and got a price on mine. $155.00 for my 48'' exmark lazer.

Another thing you may want to do to try and justify the cost of the mulch kit is to explain to your customer that mulching means you have to cut it twice, thus, you need to add $x.xx amount of dollars. let me know what you decide.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I like my mulch kit on my 48 turf tracer because I may have to slow down in very heavy growth, but almost never have to go over it twice. And I think the cut looks better than bagged...well better than bagging without a vac system anyway. In a dense lawn that's maintained weekly, you really don't see any clippings. Keep in mind that I discharge during heavy spring growth, especially with all the rain we've gotten.

I just checked with the dealer today to see if the kit was in for my lazer. I can't wait to put it on. Maple leaves are falling already and with the nothced high lift blades and no mulch kit, my mower just spits them out whole. With the kit, you'd never know they were there. Less dust too.

One thing to keep in mind, you can make a real mess mulching if the grass is too wet and long. The grass doesn't have to be bone dry, but I don't mulch in the rain.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag's mulch kit is the best (IMO), it's design turns your mower into a true mulcher. If you are used to mowing at a fast speed, you 'may' have to slow down a bit depending on length of grass.

How is that meant? You/he won't see the clippings, but if you walk across the lawn (especially barefoot) you're going to track clippings, no matter what size, where ever you go.

5. Catmann

Catmann LawnSite Member

I think it would be difficult to tell people who do not care whether it is mulched or bagged that they have to pay more for quality mulching. They would say "fine", just bag it.

6. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Haha i think Eric is right- if I was the customer and it was giong to cost me more to mulch then bag, what do i care if you bag lol. In my opinion with the time you will probably save using the bigger mower with mulch kit will pay for the mulch kit pretty quickly.

-Coop