1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch kit on Exmark 48" Viking?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by haybaler, Apr 9, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Anybody use one, are they good. I'm thinking that if I used one I wouldn't have to use my push mower anymore. does it work alright on taller grass??
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

They work very good but you have to mow slower and may have to double cut really tall grass.
  3. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

I've tried and removed it after 3 weeks of cutting last spring. Last year was a really rainy season so i never put the mulch kit back on after i tried it in the spring. The grass grew so much in one week that i was going less than 1mph to cut it and the engine would still bog down. The grass clippings would lay on top of the grass and make the yard look yellow in the few days. Most guys over here just bag for most of the year on the smaller accounts, so thats what i do.

I guess it would work ok if your grass doesnt grow enormously (1"-2") in one weeks time.
    I would be willing to sell the kit if you want it, it comes with two sets of blades(different bolt hole sizes) the larger bolt hole sizes have never been sharpened while the other set have been sharpened times. I paid $195 for it last year, make me an offer.
  4. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I basicly only use the WB for smaller areas and hillsides. I can't put a bagger on because it wouldn't fit into the smaller areas. it's so much quicker than a push mower
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

after we made the MEG MO blades we have not had to catch any clipping. That is 9 yrs.
  6. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

is that kit your selling for a 48?