Mulch kit on Scag Tiger Cub 19/48?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone tell me if this is a wise choice? I'm afraid I will lose too much power if I do this. I do like the way it enables you to trim with both sides of the deck, it keeps you from getting so much dust and clippings in your face on windy days, and makes the turf look nicer. I'm wondering about the power loss, how it will affect the blades (will it make them wear out faster), etc. Thanks guys.

2. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer advised against getting the Hurricane mulch system because he said it would cause me to mow much more slowly because of power loss. I have the 48 inch 19 Kawi.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got the kit and put everying on except the channels ......and it is okay. The main thing is the outlet is closed. Still dusty. Those channel are just to hard to put on/off for different parts of the season unless you got a lift.

4. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

I got the Hurricane Mulcher for my Tiger Cub 19 kaw when I bought the mower. I dont use it in the spring, the grass is just too thick, and yes you will lose power, However late in the summer and early fall I use it. It works awesome on leaves when they first start to come down in the fall before I have to start bagging them. It is a pain in the a## to install.

5. Mowinforaliving

What does the kit cost and how much to have the dealer install it since it's a pain? Just shoot from the hip on an amount guys. I know all dealers have different labor rates. I just need an idea.

6. spooln6

spooln6 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I have no idea about the mulching kit. But I'll get this back towards the front for you.

Do you have an email address? I can't find a way to PM you...

7. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

The kit costs $299 at my dealer

8. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

We found on our 48'' 19Kaw Tiger Cub that it performed well just using the mulch plate and a good set of gator mulchers. We removed every part of the hurricane system except for the plate that blocks the discharge chute. Worked well for us. The plate sells for 60.00. Our Tiger Cub did not have enough power to run the full mulch system and still maintain ground speed.
    We now have a 29Kaw 61'' Turf Tiger and run a quick chute on it. The quick chute is pricey at 270.00 , but does a decent job of keeping clippings out of where they are not supposed to be.

9. Mowinforaliving

Thanks alot guys. I think ill try the kit and if needed, ill remove all but the plate.

10. Mowinforaliving

I bought the kit and installed it myself last night in the garage guys. The baffles and dividers were a little tricky, but not near as bad as I thought they would be. I was a little intimidated when I opened the box, but I got it all on in about an hour. Will keep you posted on how it works.