mulch kit or gator blade side discharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ICE, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Talked to my Exmark dealer today and inquired about getting the micro mulch system for my TTHP 48". For $145 I could get the system, blades, baffles and all OR I could run Gator mulching blades for about $38.
    There are pros and cons to both. Working in upstate NY where the rain has made almost daily visits, it would be hard to justify the mulching system. But then again, I would not have to worry about throwing debris, stones, grass, things of that nature into cars, houses, beds, that would just take more time to clean up at the end of the job.
    The main reason I am looking now is because of fall cleanups. They told me that the mulching system would work GREAT while there are few leaves and they are dry. Then they said that once the leaves start piling up and they get a little damp, forget about it. That is when they said the Gator blades would work better. I have done alot of research on the subject and still have not come up with any sort of answers. Although saving $100 bucks appeals greatly to me, would it be worth it though? Are there any other suggestions that I may have missed?
    BTW, I am running stock blades now and side discharging, and double cutting lawns that have leaves on them. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
  2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We run 1 mulching deck per crew just for tight areas by parking lots, landscape beds, etc on commercial properties. They tend to leave too much streaked or clumped grass for full time use.
    In the fall for leaves we run gator blades on the spindles away from the discharge chute and a high lift blade @ the discharge chute to dispurse the clippings and leaves as much as possible.
  3. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just thinking wondering the same thing.I went with just Gator magnums for now. I was considering the mulch kit but worried it would leave streaks or clumps.A lot of my lawns are still growing at a good rate but have some leaves falling on them.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Mulch kits work great if you have control of fertilizer rates ond or type of nitrogen being applied. Trying to mulch behind most fertilizer programs and irrigated yards is frustrateing at least IMO.