Mulch Kit or Gator Blades??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Swampbeast, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I mow mostly St. Augustine grass (tough, thick grass) usually its about 4-5 inches tall and I cut it down to 3 inches. Should I use the mulch kit that I can get for my SCAGs or should I use Gator blades? Or should I use Gator blades with my mulching kit?

I dont have mulchers on any of my mowers yet, this is an upgrade I have been planning. Opinions anyone?

:cool:

2. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I have the factory mulch kit installed on my Gravely WB, it comes with Gators the cut is excellent and clippings are almost non existent. I cut St. Augustine also, but I never cut shorter then 3 1/2 inches.

3. mlc4163

mlc4163 LawnSite Member

Speaking from an Exmark point of view. We have the factory Micro-Mulch system installed on a 48" WB. The factory blades seemed to work as good as any other but were a pain in the butt to sharpen. Their web site shown the blades will be changed for 2003. We got good results using the Lesco brand gater type blades. Good price and good job too.
    Side note: All my guys love the kit. We have some accounts that have a lot of beds on both sides of the mow deck. The mulching system keeps the mulch beds much cleaner and minimizes the grass on cars as well. One of my subs tried the mower and now he's installing on one of his WB.
    Only down side is boggin down your engine and premature wear/stain.

4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO I'd recommend getting gators with a cheap piece of expanded metal covering the dishcharge opening from a welding shop.

In Tallahassee I can get it done for about $30.00. That beats the price of most mulch kits. If you suck up something hard and it bangs around inside the mulch kit it will cost more to get it fixed.

Ditto's on the hight of St. Aug. 3.5-4 is usually best for the grass. Of course if you have excessive moisture those gators will clog up on your deck quickly. I usually rinse the underside off once a day when that happens.

Cordially,
    Sheppard