Mulch kit or not

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by 95viper, Apr 30, 2007.

1. 95viper

95viper LawnSite Member
    from MI

I am still pumped after being an Exmark owner since Saturday. Metro 36. I am only going to use this at home and never in the rain and I will greatly avoid damp grass because I can't stand the messy cleanup. I am in Michigan.

Should I buy the mulch kit?
  2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan on mowing more than 1 time per week, then yes. If not, then no. JMHO
  3. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mulch kit on a 60" Lazer and a 48" TTHP and I love them both. They work great for the type of grass that we have here- bermuda, zoysia, centipede, and fescue. I don't know how it would work on your grasses there. The only way to really know would be to buy one and see.
  4. hilltop07

hilltop07 LawnSite Member

definitely get the mulch kit. makes lawn look much better and you don't have to go over lawn twice to get rid of clippings.
  5. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

The mulch kit will struggle and you will have clumps if the grass is:
    very tall (cutting off 3inches or more)
    wet or damp

If you mow and only take off 1-2 inches and the grass is dry then you should have no problems and your lawn will look great. But there is no real need for the mulch kit if you cutting only an inch or so off because the clippings will be small enough to fall back into the turf.

My advice but the bagger instead so you can use for mower for leaf cleanups in the fall. And if you see excess clippings then double cut your lawn (horizontal and vertical). Or buy a tow behind sulkey, then you can cut everyday and not even worry about getting tired.

just my two cents