mulch kit or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Josh18, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

I have a 32" 12.5 hp metro. I need something to keep the grass clippings out of flower beds. Would a mulch kit be a waste of money on such a small engine? IS there any other way to keep the clippings from going into the beds (such as a masterchute, but I can't find one for my particular mower? thanks

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

A 12.5 should mulch fine on a 32 if the rpm's are at 3600 and you have control of the N appl's

3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is an idea for you. Ask your dealer to order you in only the side plate that covers the opening on the deck. This will only cost you about $20.

Then go out and get yourself 4 multi holed clevis pins to hold the plate to the deck. Use washers and clamp pins to hold the clevis pins tight.

Now you have an easily removable mulch kit that can be put on and taken of in less that 1 min. And you saved yourself some money over buying a mulch kit for such a small deck. The plate will go off and on very similar to changing heights on a floating deck.

I have done this and it works.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The mulching ability of this set up is marginal at best and mostly leaves a trail of grass down the right side.

5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the exmark mulch kit and blades. Great cut and you will not be dissappointed. Ran without it for two weeks put one on and will not take it off again.

6. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I swear by my mulch kits. All of my mowers have one. They don't completely eliminate all clippings but they do not allow anything to shoot out of the side into the flower beds. Also, spend the money for a true mulch kit. The baffles under the deck are a necessity for true mulching.

7. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

How long does it take to remove the mulch kit on exmark walk-behinds? I have a few fields that I mow every 2 weeks and would rather side discharge than mulch. I have thought about getting a discharge blocker instead.

8. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

On a small deck like that, 12.5hp will be plenty of power to mulch, as long as you get a real mulching kit. I have tried the chute plug along before, it doesn't work at all. It leaves clippings on the ground on the right side. Also, when you reverse it leaves clippings on the ground as well. Get a baffled mulching kit with good mulching blades. Power will be fine.

9. Josh18

Josh18 LawnSite Member
    from AL

How much did ya'll pay for the exmark mulch kit?

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

On your mower and especially with your location, the mulch kit would be the way to go.

I wish I could mulch here in Michigan, but I've tried many times on many mowers. Doesn't work up here....