Mulch Kit Problems

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ntercept, Jun 21, 2003.

1. ntercept

ntercept LawnSite Member
    from 1

I have a lazer z 60". Less than a year old. I recently installed the mulch kit. Mowing my yard has become the worst job in the world. The grass clippings are being discharged straight out in front of the machine and end up on top of me and the mower cockpit. I have checked the level on the deck and lowered the front from 3/16 to 5/16. So the front of the deck is 5/16" lower than the back. I haven't noticed much of a difference.

I called my dealer and he called a rep. They advised to lower the front as above.

What can I do to remedy this problem?

I have about 300 small trees to mow around and I like the idea of having the deck closed off (mulch kit). It allows me to mow in either direction and not harm the trees with discharge clippings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

ntercept,

Thanks for the post.

A couple of things that may help us correct this problem. First what area of the country are you in? What type of grass? Is the lawn thick and lush, dry, sparsely vegetated etc.? Also how tall is the grass and at what height are you cutting?

With this information we should be able to determine if this is being caused by conditions, adjustments or if the machine needs to be inspected by the dealer.

Thanks

Terry

3. ntercept

ntercept LawnSite Member
    from 1

I have about 4 acres that I am cutting. The yard around my house is a fine fescue with areas of thicker bluegrass. I am also mowing around a lot of trees. The trees where planted in an area of prairie grass. It has a mixture of grass including tall fescue.

I cut the grass at a height of 3.5" on the deck height adjustment. I try and cut the grass once a week. I am removing between 1-3" of grass depending on the growth rate. The grass is well established. I know in the few places that are bare, I will get a lot of debris. That is understandable. However, I still get a lot of debris when cutting the thicker more established yard.

I live in East Central Kansas just few miles south of the Kansas City Metro.

Does this answer all of your questions?

Thanks for the help.

4. eXmark

ntercept

First I would have the engine RPM's checked. It's unlikely that the engines turning slow but it is possible. It is also possible it's spinning fast as well. RPM's should be at 3750 with the blades engaged but not under any other load.

I would also double-check the rake. When measuring rake you want to measure at the blade tip rather than at the skirt or front edge of the mower deck.

Mulching can be done above 3.0" and often it can be done extremely well. Often however on many lawns with "northern" grasses such as bluegrass and fescue the mulch kits perform better cutting a little lower. This generally holds true when side discharging and bagging as well however the difference is less significant. Simply dropping your height of cut to 2.5" or 3.0" should not only make a difference in the amount of debris youÂ’re seeing but you should also notice the clippings are a little finer with better disbursement.

Let me know your results after checking those items and lowering your height of cut. If those items don't improve things you may need to have the mower inspected by your Exmark dealer.

Thanks

Terry

5. ntercept

ntercept LawnSite Member
    from 1

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the rpm's. The tension on my throttle was slightly loose at the pivot point. The speed would slow over time. I tightened the throttle connection but my top rpm seemed to be lower. The all happened at the same time I installed the mulch kit. I wasn't sure if the mulch kit put an additional pull on the motor making it seem slower. I will have the rpm's checked.

The exmark rep (per my dealer) stated something about a baffle blocker being installed on my mower. Is this an additional item other than the what came with the mulch kit? Is this something I should be looking at?

Thanks.

6. eXmark

Ntercept,

The blocker plate is a small plate that should have come with the mulch kit. It mounts between the "flow control baffle" (this is the baffle that is welded under the front of the deck) and the front lip of the mower. If you look under the deck it mounts in front of the center blade a few inches to the off center toward the discharge side of the deck. It the baffle was not installed when the mulch kit was installed you should be getting a great deal of "blow out".

Thanks

Terry

7. ntercept

ntercept LawnSite Member
    from 1

Yes, I have the baffle blocker installed.

What is the anti-blowout baffle I have read about in other posts?

8. eXmark

Ntercept,

Send me an e-mail to terry.eckert@exmark.com with your phone number, and the serial number of your machine.

It may take us less time to get this figured out over the telephone.

Thanks

Terry