1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Kit to bagging conversion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. This has been bugging me for a while and I'm getting tired of some of the strange conditions I am experiencing. I have the mulch kit on my TTHP 36 set up 100% of the time with the Excalibur mulching blades, front baffles, and mulch plate installed. Is it possible for me to use a Grass Gobbler catching system without removing the baffles and changing blades? The reason I ask is because of some very abnormal growing conditions. Some lawns are mostly dry and do not have more than 1/3 (as per rule) to cut each week, while others have 2-3 inches, which can cause clumping, etc. I thought I could use a catcher in place of the plate and bag on some lawns and mulch on the others. I know this sounds like a PITA, but it beats double cutting some lawns and will probably look better as well. Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, will not work. You can take the plate off the side, it doesn't do anything.
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Will bagging REALLY beat double cutting? I highly doubt it. How about going over the lawn at 2 different heights with the mulcher on. It might solve your clumping problem.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've got an even better idea...
    take off your mulch kit and put on a EZ Chute OCDC and weld or bolt a mulching lip to it (peice of angle iron angle iron 1 1/4"x1 1/4" that sticks under the deck) in your 1/3 conditions it will mulch just as well this way and you can discharge the thicker stuff. It surprises me how well it will mulch taller stuff even thick stuff with little to no clumps. I know I know everything i have is better ;) but this is a setup that really works for me. I've never bagged grass in my life except with a 21". Your eXmark will do a fine job discharging.
  5. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious also. Can he use a grass gobbler while mulching? Will it work?