Mulch kit..Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RMcGhee, Oct 30, 2007.

1. RMcGhee

RMcGhee LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a mulching kit for my Toro..52 inch, 23HP..Turbo Force deck.
    How does this help? What does it do? I am in my 2nd year and thinking about expanding..Not sure of the benefits of mulching kits? I have a chute that I close around flower beds but it leaves grass bunched up, have to blow it off..Takes time..Would a mulcher save time?
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I am interested in a mulching kit too. I think Vikings has one so maybe he will chime in.

Vikings...are you out there?
  3. RMcGhee

RMcGhee LawnSite Member

I forgot to add. How much do they cost? Can you get them online?
  4. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mulching kit for my exmark lazer CT. My deck has three blades and it encloses all three blades, which means if u use the right blades (usually gator blades) it will cut up all of the grass with out leaving clumps of grass behind and with out bagging yards.

When i bought my Lazer CT used, it came with the mulching kit so i installed it. I thought that this was a good alternative until i saved for a bagging kit. In my opinion, i hate the mulching kit and it is the biggest pain. It doesnt leave any grass behind what so ever while ur on the yard. But once u go on the side walk to turn around grass flys all over the side walk and the heavy exmark runs over the grass that is on the side walks. That grass sticks to the sidewalks and it wont come off with a blower unless u sweep it up by hand. It also gets in the beds to. In the end i think it makes a mess.

What kinds of yards are you cutting RMcGhee? if ur cutting small fields that are not even close to being overgrown then id buy on but if ur cutting residental then id stick with a bagger.
  5. RMcGhee

RMcGhee LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info..I apprediate the advice. I cut a mixture of grass form bermuda to a lot of weeds in the grass.

I think I might need to just bag the small residential lawns and just run gator blades on the 1 and 2 acre properties. I have all kinds from really nice to just cut it type accounts. I don't leave grass showing if at all possible..Never on the high end lawns. Sometimes I get by with just closing the chute. If it's high grass at all I have to go behind and use the blower to spread the leftover. Takes time but makes a big difference in the look..

6. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Np do u currently use gator blades now? I cant wait till next season when i get a bagger, it will be so much quicker then the mulching, especially on lawns that are tall
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think Toros turbine design decks are really that good with a mulching set up, I've tried them and then stuck with hi lifts ever since. I do find all Toros kinda SUK at lawn mowing itself, but wow do they clean up good, it's just that thing about the air flow, toro has one of the strongest air flow designs in the industry... Throw mulchers on there and you reduce the flow...

Might not be but so much fun most of the year, but they sure are fun right about now, after most any storm, and in early spring.
    So I think their yard cleaning strength more than makes up for the fact they're not actually that hot on mowing.
    I usually double cut, or do it in 4th / at reduced speed.
  8. RMcGhee

RMcGhee LawnSite Member

I do have a set of gator blades. They seem to do well in wet grass but not that great when it's really dry. I had a guy who I talk to sometimes stop and tell me to buy a mulching kit and I wouldn't have to bag and it wouldn't leave any grass. I almost bought one..Glad I didn't..I do have to mow tall grass at times. I was just looking for a faster way. I hate to remow!!
  9. RMcGhee

RMcGhee LawnSite Member

High lift blades is that the same thing as gator blades?
  10. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I had one with 27hp. 52" deck. It was the best mulching machine I have ever used. I have a 48 now and it is not near as good.