1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch kit vs. plugging discharge shoot?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Feb 5, 2003.

BAMARED LawnSite Member

On my Exmark Turf Tracer, 17 Kaw, 48"....... I was wondering what the difference would be if I simply plugged the discharge shoot vs. installing a mulch kit? Anyone tried both? I've got a feeling that the answer will be that there's not a whole lot of difference unless you encounter tall grass. Then the mulch kit will "shine." Right?

Thanks in advance,

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same machine as you have. I thought that the discharge chute could be plugged, but I tried it and was not satisified with the results. When you plug the discharge chute, the other two blade chambers are open, resulting in all the clippings going to the discharge side. This was evident in tall, thin grass and leaves. The row of mulched up leaves and grass at the discharge side was always there. I got the mulch kit and it was gone. Thje mulch kit only takes about 1/2 hour to set up, and does a real good job.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Premo is correct. It is a big difference. All the grass is thrown against the block off plate and just makes trail.