Mulch Kit w/OCDC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mphillips4739, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mphillips4739

mphillips4739 LawnSite Member

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone run a mulch kit, but instead of the discharge block-off plate, use an ocdc. Some of the properties I mow get overgrown between mows, so it would be nice to not have to remove a mulch kit to side discharge. I know it can't do both great, but hopefully mulch great and side discharge ok? Any input appreciated.

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Dont think u will get the results ur looking for.. I tried taking the blocker plate off my exmark, and it didnt do what I hoped. I no longer use a mulch kit.

3. mphillips4739

I figured that was going to be the answer. Thanks for the reply.

4. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

john deere makes a mulch on demand system.

i don't know how well it works though.

as for me, i side discharge all of my lawns.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You might go in reverse take the mulch kit off and put on chute blocker. We run that way year round....

6. mphillips4739

Do you actually mulch that way or just use the ocdc just as it was intended (for keeping grass out of beds etc)?

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

In the past I mulched everything. All my mowers had a full mulch kit on them. Then we had a REALLY wet summer ( wet for us anyway )...and mulching was a pain. Started discharging. Didnt like crap flying through the air at high speeds....so went with a discharge blocker. This seems to leave a slug trail of grass where it tries to discharge it...but instead it hit the plate and drops.
    Ive decided to go back to a full mulching kit. When its wet or overgrown, Ill go slower, raise the deck...

8. phil_peek

phil_peek LawnSite Member

I also run with a mulch kit all the time, but I am really getting tired of it, I have noticed that the blade drive belt is starting to slip sometimes because there is too much grass in the deck. I am looking for a blocker too, but I cant find too many that I like, so I may just have to settle with just using the mulching kit, or I may start dischargin like most everyone else, I am scared of what my customers will do though since I have been mulching since the beginning. Another bad thing about the mulch kit is that it uses so much more gas, and gas is killing everyone. If anyone knows of a good chute blocker for a scag 36" walk-behind, that would be great.

9. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I was also worried about what my customers were going to say when I started to side discharge. Lawn looked better blowing the grass then with the mulcher. This was heavy spring time grass. Hated the way it looked w/mulch kit. Took it off and never looked back. Been 4 yrs w/out them.
    Not 1 customer noticed I was discharging.

10. phil_peek

phil_peek LawnSite Member

I tried discharging once last year on a yard that always took a while, and it made it faster, but then the guy said something about he liked it better the other way. I guess he watches me out the window or something, but I thought it looked just as good if not better, but I guess he didnt think so. Thanks for the advice, it will help in my decision.