1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Kit With Double Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, May 18, 2006.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Simple Question here. Do you use a mulch kit (plate,baffles) when running the high lift/Gator combo?

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

For an enclosed and fully baffled deck I'd go with the Gators - but I'd select the blades that lift out on the tips, and they have a inner section that is reverse-pitch (pushes back down).
    The grass will cycle around and around that way.
    It works real well on my Gravely.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

My understanding of mulching is that you don't want all kinds of lift. You want the grass to be cut and chopped up as fast as possible and "dropped" into the grass. The longer the clippings are "alive", the slower the mulching process. I tried Gator Magnums with my mulch kits on my Gravely 260Z and they didn't work very well. Too much lift and I had problems with streaking. I switched to the wavy mulch blades that came with the kits and have had awesome results with them. Unless your mower and mulch kits is set up differently, I can't see running doubles or Gators.
  4. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I use a gator type blade and flat blade doubles with my mulch kit. It works great!! Unless its SPRING!!! The grass is always to wet and it just grows to fast. It doesnt really matter what set up you use, mulching in the spring just sucks!!
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't use em together. I've tried, and tried every setup with mulching. Doubles by themselves work well, and if things are dry a mulch kit works well. But you can't use em together.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Gators are designed for side discharge NOT mulching...