Mulch Kit

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by pryker, May 12, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Hey Exmark,

I just purchased a brand new Lazer Z 60" deck ZTR. I love it. I want to add a mulching kit as the grass blades it discharges are large (I thought it is suppose to grind them up a bit). Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to change the blades for a mulch kit?
    2. How easy is it to add/remove the mulch kit?
    3. How effective is the mulching kit? Does it really make the grass clippings go away?
    4. Does it have an effect on performance/mower life?

Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Pryker,

1. Yes, you change blades. The correct blades should be included in the Mulch kit.

2. The mulch kit isn't that bad to install but the first time you do it plan on at least 45 minutes. If you remove it my advice is to replace the mounting bolts when you re-install. Fertilizer can be fairly corrosive as can grass clippings. Both tend to rust the mounting bolts which can be a bear if you try to re-use them. Once you get the hang of it your probably talking about 10-20 minutes depending upon what type of tools you have available. The guys in our lab can probably remove or install one in 10 minutes pretty easy but they are the exceptiong. It would take me a good 20 minutes or so.

3. Very effective...........except in wet, lush or overgrown conditions. Mulching like most things in life has it's limitations. It can be difficult and frustrating to use it in the springe especially on northern grasses, but it can be done. Once the heavy spring growth is finished it's really pretty good. For summer or fall use it's excellant. In may cases once the spring cutting is finished your customers may not be able to tell that the lawn was not bagged.

4. Mulching does use horsepower however it really should not effect the life of any componants because the weakest link is almost always the engine. You'll adjust your mowing based on what the engine can handle.

Thanks,

Terry

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have the 60" you will have plenty of power available for the mulch kit. as far as noticing the clippings, a good friend and customer of mine swears i bag his yard, it took showing him the mower in action to convince him. that's on southern grass however, i know it does work fine on fescue at least.

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

JMO here, but i have a few exmarks. My 60 doesnt mulch well at all. I would plan on bagging in the spring, then maybe trying mulching in the summer.

My 52 mulches like a mo fo though. Hummm, go figure.

5. eXmark

Acute Cut,

That's unusual. We probably recieve more comments that the 60 mulches better than the 52". I would suspect that we can improve the mulching ability of your 60" if you would like.

Thanks,

Terry

6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

If you are talking about the new mulch blades, Got em. I actually am waiting for a call back from Matt Gersib about it. This is the demo lazer for the turf article. Thanks for your time terry.

7. eXmark

Acute cut,

Generally the Lazer mulches pretty well in grass, as long as it's not too wet and in leaves. The new Extreme blade will probably only work in very dry grass and very dry leaves. I doubt that it would perform well with the mulch kit if your still seeing good spring growth, getting any rain or if the evening temperatures have been dipping below 50 degrees or so.

Give me a call. You've peaked my curiosity regarding a couple of your comments. The number here is 1-800-667-5296.

Thanks,

Terry