Mulch kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jathames, May 17, 2008.

1. jathames

jathames LawnSite Member

Guys do any of you not use the mulch kits? How will it do if you just get a chute blocker and run mulch blades just in case you need to side discharge.. I like the mulch kits but doesn't it hinder you a little???:dizzy:

2. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i had a mulch kit on my gravely 252z.... it bogged down BAD in high grass..... so i just took it off.... i plan on putting a chute blocker on but havent yet

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have just the mulch plate on my scag turf tiger and does pretty well. but there are
    times when the grass is really growing, i take the plate off and just side discharge. i thought about buying one, but for the price, i'll just take the two bolts off of the mulch plate, takes less then a minute to take off. someday i'll get tired of unbolting and get one!

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am going to have my dealer make me a simple plate and hinge it at the same place that the side shoot mounts. I will simply pull it up with a piece of rope and let the weight of the metal hold it down. I am not paying $200 for one either. I didn't even try to put the entire channel on definitely wouldn't work most of year and since I don't have a fork lift can't be taking those on/off.