Mulch Kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 7, 2003.

?

How do you feel about Mulch Kits?

1. Can't live without it

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Have one, use it occassionally

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Used one, don't like it

9 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

After reading a thread on mulch kits, I realized that I may possibly purchase one. I run into a lot of the problems that were discussed, so please take the poll and explain your reasoning if you want. thanks guys

2. Expert Lawns

Does my thread have cooties? :confused:

3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I will never go without mine.

It helps me sell the standard service at a higher price due to the better conditions my lawns become with all the benefits of the recycled clippings. Plus no side discharge mess blowing where ever it wants to go, a very nice problem solver if you have many manicured beds to cut around.

Yeah you might have to slow down when under spring time rain growth, but most guys have to double or triple cut anyway, and this way you give your lawns that extra boost to look even better, plus you could get more per cut as I do with it on all the time! ;)

4. Expert Lawns

Crazygator - obviously this cuts down on the amount of blowing that needs to be done at the end, but does it cut it out completely? seems like there would be little need to blow flower beds or walks.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder how come no one (and I mean NO ONE) uses them in my neck of the woods. I don't think I have even seen one in 9 years of commercial mowing...just some howeowners on their 22 inch jobbies. And boy, do they ever leave a mess, too cause they don't have a clue as to what they're doing...lol.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Never had one and cant say ive ever needed one.

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use one on my WB in the fall in conjunction with the U-Vac on my Lazer for leaf clean-ups. If the leaves aren't very thick, I use mulch kits on both machines.

8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Bought my Toro and a mulch kit in 2000, installed the kit for the first time two weeks ago. Went through some growing pains (had to learn to slow down in the thick stuff) but it was great not having to back up the Z when the discharge chute was pointing at a flower bed. I clean the underside of my deck and change the blades every evening and noticed that the amount of goop under the deck was more than when running without the kit but still not a problem. Today while mowing one of my larger accounts (humid but dry conditions) the quality of cut was awful, was getting excessive buildup under the deck, finished this lawn and went home and removed the **** thing. Went back and recut the last lawn (came out perfect) the rest of the day was spent happily cutting grass at full speed I am back to side discharge and happy.
    BobR

9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Just get one you wont be sorry. They work really well when the leaves start to fly.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

First let me say that I always mulch, always have, always will. My mulch kit has been off once since I installed it. I took it off for a high rough cut job I had. Then it went right back on.

I don't have to do any blowing as a result of mowing. I only blow to clean up any aftermath from trimming or edging. Occasionally, the mower will drop clippings on a sidewalk if I'm mowing right across it and on to the other side. The slower I'm going, the more I drop. But most of the time it just blows right off the sidewalk into the grass anyways, unless it's wet.

Sometimes I run into conditions where I could mow faster side discharge. But the time savings would never make up for the time it would take to clean up the discharge.

I can't go without my mulch kit.