1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Labor Price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Jun 16, 2001.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, i have a predicament. A very rich potential customer just called looking for an estimate for spreading mulch. I am very small time, but mulching is obviously not a complicated job, so i will give an estimate, and do the job well if he picks me. My problem is that I dont know what to give for a price. My other mulching jobs have been much smaller, 3-4 yards, 2-3 hours. I estimate this job to be about 12 yards of mulch. My usual hourly rate (which I usually charge for mulching, but this guy wants a flat number to compare prices) is $18/hour. If i do that price for this job its gonna only be $200 for a ton of work + mulch (which i dont profit from). What would you guys normally on a job like this? It is VERY spread out areas, with scattered plants in each. Any help, estimates, or comments appreciated, thanks in advance, michael
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I would charge $900- $1000.00 depending on how much weeding and edging has to be done. I pay $25 a yard for the bark mulch that i use.
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

The problem I see is your hourly rate. I realize that hourly rates will vary quite a bit around the country, but $18 seems awfully low for hard labor no matter where you're from.
    I've seen guys here say they get $50. That would be high for my area, but I shoot for $35-36 myself.
    Consider upping your rates a bit.
  5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help guys..