mulch leaves and they blow out the front of the deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnagent, Oct 16, 2003.

1. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

How do some of you cope with this problem? I was thinking of maybe cutting up a mud flap and bolting it on the deck front to stick down further and maybe prevent this, If I can prevent it, it will sure save time.

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at tractor supply the other day and they carry rolls of rubber that are like 4 inch's wide 1/4 to 5/16 thick not sure if it was sold by the foot or by the roll.

One problem I see with doing this is it will not let the leaves go under the deck it will probably act like a plow and push them. What kind of mower do you have maybe you could lower the pitch of your deck some

3. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I am using the 7000 series out front deck Dixon, but I have a friend ( and competitor ) who has 2 grasshoppers and a scag. He told me he has the same problem.
    You are right about the plow effect the strip would have. I should have thought of that. Ill check on the deck pitch.

4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

The flap idea is a possibility, but as said, can't hang down too far.

Is mower set up with mulch kit? Try lowering it if possible.

What's your deck pitch? Front of deck being a 1/4" (at least) lower than rear. This may also cause the need to readjust blade height.

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I remember there being a few threads about this awhile back. Isn't it called blowout? Don't know much about the subject but I believe someone mentioned blowout baffles. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't that solve the problem?

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The flap idea would work. The other guy who posted about his friends Scag must not have the newer advantage deck like my machines do. The newer Scag advantage decks do have an adjustable baffle in the front, which has 3 hieght positions. If you put the baffle in the lowest position it enhances leaf pickup and reduces blowout.

Jimbo