Mulch making little black specs on the house?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JeffNY, May 27, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

We have a mulch job coming up, the guy said last time he got it from XXXXX it made black specs all over his white siding. I guess it was some sort of fungus in the mulch? Never heard of such a thing myself, anyone here?
    I saw the black specs, they don't come off whatever it is, or if it's even from the mulch, who knows.

Getting the mulch from somewhere else would be a pita, theres no one else in town that has that much mulch.

Anyone hear of this?
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Shotgun fungus, most common with hardwood mulch. White houses affected most. Usually from mulch being to deep. Best to remove the old and install something different like cedar, hemlock, or rock.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Is the area underneith trees, could be sap falling from them. I've seen people with white cars that park under trees and they get the same affect. If not then shovelracer is right on the mark.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Good info, Shovelracer.

I looked up shotgun fungus. It is very interesting and looks just like what is being described.
  5. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

BINGO shovelracer, thats definitely it.
    Now I can sound smart when I talk to him, "ohhh yeah, thats shotgun fungus"

So now my options are..... have him choose cedar, or hemlock? or lay down the same stuff, thinner? I dont think the culprit is still on the ground, think he said it happened a few years ago.
    Other thing is, he's blaming the place that sells it, ill explain it can happen with that mulch from anywhere.

Thanks for the help, I learned something.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

We both learned something here. Never heard of shotgun fungus until now. Boy am I gonna' look like I know something. :)

My luck, it'll be so long before I ever see this, I'll tell the customer it's Pistol fungus or something stupid like that. :hammerhead:
  7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

That's ok, your customer won't know either so you can still look smart!
  8. oakhillslandscaping

oakhillslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

its actually known around here as artillery fungus i didnt a project for it in a plant pathology class i took last year and i had to work on someones house who had it last summer, and you need to remove all the mulch that is for certain, and then replace with a 1-2 inch layer, and they are going to need to replace their siding ha and from what i hear homeowners insurance doesnt cover fungus
  9. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen that on garage doors several feet from any mulch. You're right, it doesn't wash off.
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

around here (NC) that what we used to assume was making all the laurels look so bad after a few years... turns out its actually a bacteria due to our great humidity. Of course all the garden centers and "nurseries" get the laurels shipped in from the mountains or tn / ky because they're cheap but they tend to not last long due to that.