Mulch Mold or fungus

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 31bro, Jul 2, 2006.

1. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I have been getting this fungus looking stuff on my mulch. Its kind of yellowish and looks like puke. What is it and I how do I get rid of it?

2. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

it sounds like slime mold. How often do you water? No cure for slime mold, the only thing you can do is change the enviroment. Pick it off, or put fresh mulch over top of it.

3. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

I just remulch last month. We have some good rains last week and the week before so I have not had to water much

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm having ther same thing on my new mulch as well. Not from too much water, dry as heck here and the places it shows up is where the plants only get the water! So mines not slimy, but still like puke, lol. WHen I hit it with the hose it disn't "wet" but actually goes up in "smoke" if you will, looks like I have a fire going in the mulch!

My mulch is the hardwood type, not cypress or ceader, came from Lowes.

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Its called dog vomit mold or fungus. It is supposedly harmless, unless eaten of course. It is better to get this type than artillery mold so just take a shovel and scoop it up and deal with it because there is not way to prevent as far as I know.

6. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

No cure for slime mold, if it's a really big problem, don't have any water near the area, and try to change the enviroment. Just scrape it off with a shovel.

7. 31bro

31bro LawnSite Member
    from IN

This is exactly what mine is. I get rid of it and it will be back the next day.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

LOL, I posted what mine was and where it came from just on the off chance that maybe it was the mulch itself, how funny... Sounds liks some good old Lowes junk... (still better than home cheapo for selection and quality though)

I was concerned that the mold in the mulch was going to spread some sort of disease of fungus thru the shrubs. As long as it's harmless I'm not too worried now... I'm the only one that's ever close enough to see it, and most of the time I'm not paying that close of attention!

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It's harmless. Looks nasty, but does no damage. Scoop it off with a shovel and throw it in the woods. Or blame it on the customers' dog...

10. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

This is a common occurance in hardwood mulch regardless of where you get it from. As all have said remove with a shovel but do it as gently as possible as to minimize the spreading of more mold spores. It should subcide in a few months after continuous gentle removal.