1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch mule

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cfrymow, Feb 25, 2008.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

but you guys still dont get it.. the mulch is mule is not just for mulch.... lolololol
  2. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but weight might be an issue for some companies too, the mule is a long and heavy trailer, especially when it has 12 yards of mulch in it.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I thought about leaving a sander in one of the big trucks and using that like someone said in an earlier post. Could heap it up with 8 yards of mulch and it would probably do the exact same thing.
  4. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

Yeah, that was me. (about using a sander.) I'm actually going to try that this year. Even if I put 2 yards in the back of the sander, take off the spinner, and park a wheelbarrow under the end of the conveyor. With my luck, it probably will all just bind up in the hopper, and only empty a big cavern out of the bottom of the hopper. I think it would need some sort of auger to turn the material in the hopper over the conveyor.

But what the hell, I'll try it. Especially since I still have sanders on the trucks. I'll let you know. Boy wouldn't that bust Mulch Mule's bubble if that worked!!
  5. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have watched a company here in State College, Pa. for years use this set-up. He runs a large crew, 30-50 employees, and (2) mules. Apparently there is profit somewhere in the process, but I have yet to be able to understand where it is. Maybe I can't think far enough outside the box......
  6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

my 10 tine pitch fork was a better investment then this thing would be for mulch
  7. poonero

poonero LawnSite Member
    from ny

i dont care how much "material" you spread through this thing how can you justify going 50K in the hole for a 15K trailer? why do they advertise it as the mulch mule if they had so much out of the box thinking going on?
  8. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

9. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you who seem to be challenged by my view of this product, I apologize, but I never said it was for everyone. However, the company mentioned above saw the return on investment not once but twice. Also, Mulch Mule doesn't just make trailers. They have truck units where the cab-over is committed and overall unit is compact considering what it does.

I'm certain people made fun of the first commercial walks and ZTR's saying their workers with a 21" were cheaper than the cost of those machines. I'm not saying that this is the next ZTR but for some people who are serious about saving manpower, being safer, looking very professional, and taking more profit to their bottom line this is a product they should at least consider.
  10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think i would buy a finn bark blower before i bought a mulch mule.