mulch mule

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cfrymow, Feb 25, 2008.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right, product and operator are key, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist =), and just good mulch not nasty large chunky trash which we would never put down. What unit did you have? The old air locks are inferior to current models, and about half the size.

My guys LOVE that shoot, they can trim along window sills, garden beds, and direct mulch where ever they want it just by turning the nozzle.

The airlock is about 20k, we currently have 2500 hours on ours, and still have a lot of life in it. All depends on what you run through it. We have hardly any scratches in the drum, and you will be lucky to fit a piece of paper between the drum and the wheel. We run only great stuff through it though.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out with yours.
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

What most have realized is that the entry fee for a particular piece of equipment can't be justified today because they havent crossed the line with the workload. Buying a Mulch Mule may be a good investment if you have the volume to justify it. I don't so I won't. A few years ago, I thought it was crazy to invest 250-300K in a snow melter, but have aligned myself with work that justifies it now, and will be making a purchasing decision shortly. I once thought it was crazy to invest 50K on a WAM, a friggen lawnmower?!?!? and now own two, looking to buy a third. If it makes sense financially-it may be worth the investment. Just my 2 cents.
  3. OhioBobcat125

OhioBobcat125 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Are you talking about just moving 80 to 100 yards per day because Ive had alot of experience with a mulch mule using a three man crew and three men cannot dump and spread anywhere near that amount in a day. I think the Mulch Mule is a great tool and I love using them when I get the chance but that figure just seems down-right wrong.
  4. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Been doing this for 14 years now with scoop shovels and wheelbarrows. You must have a ton of volume to be able to even think of one of these. Do mulch mules have a 30 year payment plan of something? I like Javier and Rogelio as my mulch mules!! I'd love to see 100 yrds done in a DAY by two guys.
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, just went and built my Mulch mule......$56,000.00 and thats WITH the $650.00 spare tire. The spare tire that i can probably buy for $175.00 at ANY tire dealer
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe possible with The Incredible Hulk and Swarzenneger.
  7. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I think this thread is hilarious first of all. I saw this guy at MAHTS in Altantic City. I literally laughed when he said 80 yards in a day... We do a fair amount of mulch to where a machine like this may cut costs on certain jobs, but like my canadien friend said the end needs to justify the means. At the end of the day, any machine that sits in your shop is costing you money. Sure, we do mulch, but don't plow. I think the idea of the heavier gauge aggregate conveyor could be a true backsaver and improve productivity in our situation, but every company has different needs. A big commercial company could save $50K in one season if they did enough volume, but again I'd rather buy concrete buggies, and a couple dingos that have many other uses and accesories that are more useful for our needs.
  8. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I have a mulch mule, i bought it used last year because i thought it might fit well into my business, but it doesn't. We probably used in on 10 large residential jobs. Nice machine, runs & works fine. It's the 15cy unit. I'm looking to get $30,000 or best offer. I was going to wait until late winter but figured there's no harm in starting early. Matt at 978 475 0003 or
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, its pretty heavy, the FINN MTS holds 15 yards too, and its 6800 empty? damn!

Both i think are well built, and no ones challenging that fact, but is it useful in this line of work? probably not.

both are in the 50-60k range for the trailer model

We have a couple thousand yards per year of mulch, places range from 5-50 yards each commercially.

We use a 27hp diesel 4x4 tractor with a 48" bucket on it, its great for this work, like others have talked about a dingo.. this machine does 9mph, is pretty safe hauling butt with it, holds about 1/3 yard at a time heaping over and we move from the pile all around the lot.

We RARELY have the guys either loading wheelbarrows OR moving wheelbarrows around. Many times we have the tractor move the mulch from pile to mulchbed, its only about 1500lbs so it doesnt hurt the turf either.

If we have areas we cant get to, too tight etc.. we dump small piles close to where the guys can load their wheelbarrows, they 0nly have to go about 100ft at most.

A mulch mule or finn mts would basically only replace our 14' dump trailer, it would hold a little more but weighs more, most times we'd just be dumping it anyway, so loading barrows doesnt help much.

I looked at FINN blowers and the FINN smallest trailer model, the 302 i think is about 43k, still not cheap, and it doesnt haul squat... Although i think it would help us a ton, it uses fuel and is on its own trailer? That means we'd now need TWO trucks all the time

A. One truck or trailer for hauling mulch
    B. One truck for pulling mulch blower
    C. One truck for pulling trailer with tractor/loader on it

That sure sucks even when your properties are close together, loading time, coordination etc.. sucks.

Im looking into some way to "pull" the 43k Finn blower ONTO a LONG maybe 5th wheel flatbed open trailer, like an equipment trailer, some trailer that is about 28-30' long total, because i can load the ENTIRE blower trailer ONTO the big trailer and strap the whole thing down. Then we can load our small loader right on back, and pull it with a crew cab F550 12' landscape body dump.. to haul about 12 yards safely with the weight of the trailer load....

Only thing is that the combo will be VERY long, and cant use a 5th wheel with a dump body truck but can use it with my F350s... Then we cant really haul any mulch though.

We'd also have to pivot the truck/trailer sharply to try and dump some mulch for the loader to load the darn mulch blower

None of this combined, sounds like it would help us speed up our mulch jobs by the hour/day/week or month. And for dishing out 43k for a smaller 1.5 yard mulch blower?
  10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

So, either I've missed it, or no one is jumping all over syzer for "volcano mulching" of the trees in one of the pix. Is that something that the HOA requires? If so, you should search the phrase on this site and then educate their board.