1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch mule

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rgjlawn, Mar 8, 2005.

1. rgjlawn

rgjlawn LawnSite Member
    from midwest

has anyone used a mulch mule?
  2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I know that I have not used one since I have not even heard of one. But I do want to know what it is, something like a powered wheel barrow for moving mulch maybe???
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I had a chance to see one in action from a local LCO, pretty cool but nothing i'd have any use for unless I had a lot of employees and a lot of mulch work. Really cool machine.
  4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at it and ended up buying a blower. What I wanted to get away from was wheelbarrows and dependency of employees. We can partially raise a dump truck and load wheelbarrows almost as fast, I really didn't see the big time savings for the $$$$$.
  5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

That looks pretty nice but with a $46,000.00 price tag for a standard model you would need to be putting down tons of mulch. That was the first time that I have seen or heard of one.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That was a waste of 11:48 minutes of my life. Neat idea. But for the money I rather have a bark blower.
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I really wonder if anyone can actually justify owning one of these things? I mean, you'd have to have a crew running from one mulch job to the next to get your money's worth out of it, wouldn't you?

Sometimes I see products like this in Turf Magazine, and I'm like, "How would anyone ever create a business that could justify owning a piece of equipment like this?" This is one of them. And I really wonder about the manufacturers. Their target market is so small, how can they possibly make money selling something like this?

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. chriscampbell

chriscampbell LawnSite Member

couldnt you make your own for $46,000. If you know how to weld i bet you could make something similar. It says you save $10 per yd. So you need to sell 4600 yds of mulch. In chicago that would be 164 yds a week during the 28 weeks of growing season just to break even. That seems like a lot of mulch to sell. But i guess you could do it if you specialized in mulch.
  9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Very neat machine, alot of bells and whistles... 50k for a setup like that is alot... A bark blower would be better suited for commercial props... This machine seems to be suited for residential props where wheel barrows are need to get into back yards and such...
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I just remember that there is a piece of farm equipment similar to that. It a wagon goes behind a chopper. The chopper blows grain into it and then the wagon has the same type of moving floor and side discharge for feeding cattle. I can't remember what its called. (I am sure some body here grew up on a farm would know what its called.) You could buy one of these and mounted in on a old truck and do the same thing for about $10,000-$20,000. And we all know a truck is easier to move around than a trailer.