Mulch or Bag

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CLoach, Dec 27, 2005.

1. CLoach

CLoach LawnSite Member

Does everyone mulch or bag? Why?

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on your customers and the direction you want to take your business. I no longer bag - period! Nothing but a pain! Yes, I lost some customers but gained some too. I hate the extra work bagging takes up.

kc

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What is a bag?
    36" and smaller run mulch kit after spring and 44" and bigger all let fly
    (I use the 36" units in close quarters so I mulch to keep from painting houses green.)

Why???
    The only thing you sell, is time, and bagging burns it!

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

some areas, peole here say thay have to bag, everyone expects it, not where im at.... if i bag, i raise th price, alot......

5. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

About half of my yards I bag and the other half mulch. Bagging is a pain if you have a side metal bagger. Takes up added time plus hauling it away. I have 2 vac systems on ztrs and a e-z dumper on my truck with sides and try to add things every year to make it easier for the lawns I have to bag. Bottom line is if you are going to bag charge extra. To much extra work involved not to.

6. SouthJerseyLawns

SouthJerseyLawns LawnSite Member

I have not had a customer yet insist that I bag once I explain that it will save them some money on fertilizer in the end. By mulching you are naturally feeding the lawn so it benefits both you and the customer. I also tell the customer that if they can notice a difference then I'll bag. A nice sharp set of gatorblades does the trick. Also increase the mowing frequency to reduce the amount of clippings. All tricks that worked for me.

7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i dont really bag...i have one lawn where i go inside the fence by the pool i do bag that....but i also get lots of us dollars to do...so they get what they want...but i never bag other than that one...but a bagger is nice to have

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this one has been beaten to death.

Seems every other week or so this issue pop's up.

Some like it and some don't. I agree with K.Carothers

Here where I live we are NOT to put grass clippings or any sort in the waste bin...there for we have to have a compost pile or pay extra for disposal...
    That is that.....

Some who want there lawns bagged pay extra and YES it's a trip to the recycling center. Here it's about 35.00 to dump.

9. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

There are certain commercial properties that I have to bag. I have an apartment complex that I bag because if I were to blow clippings one way they will be all over the cars. If I discharge the other way I will be throwing grass all over the apartment doors, hedges, flowers, & their personal stuff. I could mulch but it takes too long to put a mulch kit on compared to 2 minutes for the ultra vac. Churches are the same way-cars driving by on one side and the church on the other side. I don't like to bag but this is a business and I couldn't turn down work just because I don't like to bag. Mulching is too messy and nasty during the spring time here with all the crabgrass- way too juicy. The places that I do bag at I dispose of the clippings on site. That is one aspect of bagging that hasn't affected me yet. I only bag 20% of my properties.

10. CLoach

CLoach LawnSite Member

sorry i just joined the site. if this question has been beaten to death then why did you answer it? if you don't like the question why don't you take a hike and not complain?