Mulch or Bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clip Cliperson, May 19, 2001.

1. Clip Cliperson

Clip Cliperson LawnSite Member

Hello guys, I'm new to the business and to this site. Just bought a business and Equipment 2 weeks ago. The guy I bought the business from always bagged his clippings and dumped them at the end of the day. He told me I can dump at the same place but it seems like a big pain to me. First of all I don't have a full size pickup and I have to dump after about 7 or 8 yards. Second the place I dump is a dump. It has a real steep hill with wash out areas all over and I can barely get back out of there. What would it cost me to get set up to mulch. I have 2 Lawn Boys self propelled commercial mowers and a Lesco 36" walk behind. Sorry this post is so long but any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't picked up clippings or leaves since 1994. We use double blades and let the clippings fly in tiny pieces and we have had Zero complaints and not a one has asked for the clippings to be removed. If you haven't heard of double blades, click on the flashing gif below and then click on double blades. Pictures included. ;)

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We Mulch & Side Discharge

4. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I got a question for u. Could you shoot some of your clients lawns and bag others? That's what we do. I run gator blades on my mowers and side chute lots of my lawns. About every 4 times I bag it. I can dump my clippings in my uncles fields or take it to my cities dump. I don't use double blades, I just mow my lawns more often(every 4-5 days. Besides, supposedly double blades mess up your spindles quickly and are hard on lower horsepower motors. My gator blades usually turn the grass into such small peices they are like dust. See if your clients will let you side chute and occasionally bag for a while. Just make sure you don't blow grass clippings into flower beds and such.
    Fact, grass needs thatch and always bagging robs your grass of thatch.
    Fact, Side chuting occasionally will make their lawns look better.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Summitgroundskeeping wrote:
    Who told you this? I have used double blades for 12 years and replaced one set of bearings on one spindle at 3,000 hours. I have run doubles on 2 of my 60" decks with only a 20 hp Kohler engine.

6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I use 48" 14 hp hrdo w/b great danes. They don't really have the power to turn the double blades. So I mow with fewer days in between and make evn more cash. Plus my dealer (great relationship and even family) won't hold the warrenty valid. So i use single gators.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I try to mulch, my 21" does anyway. My new Groundmaster doesn't though. It came with the collection system on it and would be a pain in the @$$ to take the blower off and put a mulch plate on. The job I'm currently using it at wants part of the lawn mulched and part bagged. No way is that gonna happen. I'm not gonna spend more money on a mulch plate and blades, then have to change all the stuff out every time I have to go mow this place. I just figured I could bag. But, if you can mulch, I would. It's worked for me for my smaller yards and I can tell that they look better for it. Good luck!

8. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I used to bag all the time. I started side discharging and haven't had a complant yet. If the grass isn't laying on top who cares how you mow it. If the customer claims it causes thatch maybe you could educate them. In the winter I mulch with my toro. Don't waste your time bagging.

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the clients don't mind if you don't bag, MULCH IT!!!
    I has ALOT of clients who require I bag, so I do. They pay for it!

10. BOBCAT36

BOBCAT36 LawnSite Member

BAGGING OR MULCHING IT DEPENDS ON THE CLIENT AND THE TYPE OF GRASS YOU DEALING WITH BERMUDA I'LL CATCH BECAUSE IT AS A CLEANER LOOK, KENT 31 LET IT FLY JUST MAKE SURE THE BLADES ARE SHARP

BUT IF I'M PRESS FOR TIME LET THE BURMUDA FLY, JUST RAISE YOUR BLADE SO YOU DONT CUT AS MUCH LEAF