1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulch or discharge, that is the question (lawn patrol)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jodym, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jodym

jodym LawnSite Member

I would like to have some advice on whether I should continue to side discharge or install a mulching system? I have a ferris 52" zero"": pros and cons.
  2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

side discharge goes faster and usually (unless wet) doesnt clump and can avoid mowing multiple times. however ou dont have to worry about where your discharge is going with the mulch kit. i however would steer clear of the mulch kit, get a set of high lift blades and throw it out there.

3. jodym

jodym LawnSite Member

I've used both standard high lift and gator high lift blades. Whats your opinion?:) :)
  4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

regular high lifts cut bette and make the grass look better afterwards. i have never really liked the gator blades, to me it looks like they just leave a ragged cut.
  5. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Mulching is much much safer there have been several threads posted about folks getting hurt bad by discharged objects even up to a hundred feet away.
    I cut a lot with my son and sometimes he's trimming and I am cutting in the same yard.
    I cant and wont risk it, Plus when I do am my hedge trimming I just rake it all into the yard and mulch it and it's gone in two passes. Both my ZTR'S
    have the Ex mark kit's and they have never been used without the plates.
    Some of my yards have the red mulch and it keeps the grass out as well.
    I made a cut with my plasma cutter in the right baffel on the kit on my 52
    so if a have a overgrown vacant lot or something I can take out two bolts and remove half of the right kit and the plate. I carry a Dewalt cordless impact inmy tool kit and it only takes a couple of minutes to take on and off. I just
    make sure no one is in range .
    Capt Bob

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

bought a new exmark 46 ztr and I ask the guy at the dealer what the mulch kit is all about to cost $180,he said mosty of the guys who he have sold mulch kits to have took theyre mulch kits off he said he dont know why but he also have seeing another lco's with homemade piece of metal plates installed at the side discharge opening.
    can that be done and being as effective as the $180 mulch kits?
  7. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

No They are not as effective , The Ex Mark kit comes with baffles and each blade has a chamber they really have there act together the kit is very heavy duty and it works! The lift is the key in the chamber each blade is profiled ,I have never had a situtation where they were very inconvient.
    The Capt
  8. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch kits are great if you need to watch where the discharged grass is going (tree rings, beds, etc) In smaller areas discharge containment is great. Mulch kits are a bit of a pain when the grass is thick, tall, damp, or a combination of the three. I have taken the Exmark kit off and on many, many, many times. The few minutes it takes to remove it or install it is worth it in the field. I prefer to at least have a mulch kit on hand.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe not as effective but it is a good alternative when you have to cut both dry and tall wet grass. When we had the full mulch kit with all the chambers isolated on Tiger Cub I had trouble in rainy weather. I took everything else off except the out plate and have done fine ever since. I am not sure what those chambers really help mulch? I use both Scag wavy blades and low lift straingt blades and that doesn't really make much difference, obviously can't use high lift in wet grass.
  10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on your mower with a good OCDC and you have the best of both worlds.