1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch or discharge your grass?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by MJK, Dec 23, 2007.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

1. Mulch
    2. Discharge
  2. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

maybe i should add what do you do during the summer, Mulch or discharge.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Discharge most of the time. Mulch some of the time. Bag= to often for my liking!
  4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

We do all three- mulch, discharge, and bag. I would rather mulch or discharge but some customers want their lawns bagged so we bag them. Some office complexes and churches are so small that they look best if they are bagged with a pushmower (hate to use those!) but we do it anyway.
  5. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

all three, bag for those that want it. and mulch most of the time. but also discharge.
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Side discharge from April thru October...then put on the mulch kits for leaves. I used to mulch yr round...but wetter conditions were a major PITA...side discharge is much faster for me.
  7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i discharge..... i would not even try to mulch with this new pos exmark i bought
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Side discharge for sure......If we need to double cut, so be it. Mulching can be a nightmare if the grass is wet or too long.

If you mow near airport runways or near a swimming pool, mulching and/or bagging might be necessary.
  9. PaproskiLandscaping

PaproskiLandscaping LawnSite Member

I try an manage my nitrogen applications to give my lawns more consistant growth instead of those mutant spring growth surges just after fertilizing, which means I barely have to bag. Slow release ferts work great for this!

It is the current teaching that clippings being returned to a lawn are high in Nitrogen and water and do not contribute to thatch. Returning clippings can also reduce the ammount of nitrogen you have to put down.

So I bag when I have to, mulch as much as possible. If i have visible clippings after the first cut, I set my deck a quarter inch higher and take a few lighting quick passes to disperse the clippings.
  10. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

Pice of shiiiaT??????
    explain cousin