1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulch or not to mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Bruce's Lawn Service, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Bruce's Lawn Service

Bruce's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I live and work in upstate NY. When is it a good time to spread mulch? :confused:
  2. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

a couple weeks
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I won't even start to mulch until middle of May. If you do it now it looks like crap by the time it turns nice outside
  4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Your one of the few who have it right. Many mulch way too early to start generating income, rather than what is best for the landscape plants by waiting until we have warmer temps and a bit drier soil. Even though it is getting dry in some areas, that is not usually the norm.
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you save a couple of big jobs for the summer when you get a drought. I usually save about 15 or so for the summer then do the rest in the spring.
  6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

A quick story last Apr. this co. was out doing mulch 2 days later we had 14inches of snow.Guess where they had to put the snow, a nice 8ft pile right on the new mulch .