mulch or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfmonkey, Mar 11, 2002.

1. turfmonkey

turfmonkey Guest

wanting to know the best way to mow is it to mulch or not to mulch.:)
  2. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

You my friend asked one of those questions that will garner you a variety of opinions. I personally will only mulch mow a lawn where the customer is kinda cheap and doesn't want to spent the extra 2.00 for me to bag the grass clippings. Realisticly, I generally mow with a bag attached to keep up the clippings during early spring to the start of summer, come summer I will do more mulch mowing to help fertilize the lawn with the clippings and to help make it more draught resistant. The nice thing about using a bag is that it does help keep weeds down some by collecting the weed seeds that otherwise would be spread around when you mulch mow. Many yards I mulch mow due to cost, I save on bagging time and less debris to haul off. Now if you have a budget mower it may not mulch very well, The use of special mulching blades reduces the clumping that is common with many machines. Currently I am trying a blade I purchased at walmat for my back up mower, it is a super mulcher blade and it seems to work very well at shredding up the clippings and not having the clumps.
  3. Let it fly
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

why bag? mulching is better for the lawn and easier.
  5. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

As I have said.... you will get a variety of opinions.