mulch or side discharge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by new2thebiz, Jun 13, 2004.

1. new2thebiz

new2thebiz LawnSite Member

I realize its up to the customer, but if they dont have an oppinion on it, which would you guys do?
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch, mulch, mulch. I only side discharge if there is absolutely no other option.
  3. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

Extra long or wet grass seems to cut and not clump if you side discharge, otherwise Mulch.
  4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I mulch year round. Better for the grass and safer. A mower with a mulch kit will not throw golf balls, etc.
  5. okiejaco

okiejaco LawnSite Member

I have thought about mulching but was told that if you mulch you need to mow about every 3 or 4 days. Is that true? I know a lot depends on growth of grass but was just curious.
  6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We side discharge for the most part. Almost everyone around here does the same.
  7. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

mulch. where i am you gotta take it to the dump. cant bag it.

does side discharging leave large clippings? spoken from someone who doesnt have a large mower. i would think it would be just as easy to mulch. is it that hard on the mower in comparison?
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Side discharging should be easier on the mower. Think about it: In side discharging the mower has to shoot the clippings out of the side. In mulching, the mower has to get the clippings chopped up and then leave them where they are, while cutting more grass.

I side discharge, and so does everyone in the area.
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I side discharge and if I need to I just double cut. It does the same job as mulching but is easier on the mower. One yard I do grows 4-5 inches every week, even with the hotter weather and thats without a fertilizer company. There is no way that can be mulched without killing the mower.
  10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Side discharge.